Thursday, February 3, 2011

Drink Like a Fish


Water. Not booze. ;)

So I've started "French Women Don't Get Fat" and thus far I am enthralled. It reads as a novel of the author's life as a french woman who was transplanted to the States and then back to France and eventually returning the the US. Her plight sounds very familiar to my own. Tempted by food and over time your waistline changes. She even notes that the book is aimed at women who look to lose up to about 30lbs and change their eating habits... NOT DIET. I'm likin this chick already! ;)

So the first step is liquid refreshment. I totally need to up my water intake each day. I probably only have 2 glasses of H2O a day, plus a soda or coffee or some other drink (OJ or green tea). However, nowhere near the 6+ glasses a day that are the standard we should (but don't) follow.

The other thing is widening my variety of meal options. Especially since I work such strange hours. Thursdays are nice because I teach right after breakfast and am done by lunch. So all my meals can be made at home. No prepackaged bullshit to contend with (pardon my French lol). Sodium content is and probably will always be an issue for me, so I need to keep better track of that. Lots of those quick meals to go are packed with it.

My dear friend Lisa has made a few posts on here and talked to me at work as well. I admire her healthier lifestyle and of course she is teeny tiny to show for it! Good for you girl! :) I'm excited to take some of her snacking advice and get that stuffed mushroom recipe (hint hint!)

I fell of the proverbial wagon last night with a burger and fry love affair. It was what I imagine an extramarital affair would be like... dirty, scandalous and remorseful. The crisp of the fries were delicious, as was the nastily slapped together patties and cheese on my burger, but it didn't do what I expected it too. It wasn't satisfying. And while I miss the taste of that grossness, I just felt worse after. I was tired, sluggish and my pants tightened around me in discomfort. No more of that! I'll allow myself the random treat... a Sweet Tea, Caramel Latte, maybe even a couple DD munchkins. But if I get a burger it can't be from McDs. Homemade or gourmet. Even then, the calorie count is something to behold. ;) So yes, for shame on me. But I had to share. It's all part of the journey right?

~ M

2 comments:

  1. :-) Another thing you might want to drink is the Vitamin Water Zero (zero calories). I buy them in bulk at BJs (I think they sell them at costco, too) and they are full of vitamins and antioxidants that will be more beneficial than soda, if you're looking for a refreshing and flavourful drink.

    I'll get you my mushroom recipe next week. I cook by much throwing stuff into a pan and baking it 'tiil it looks done, so I'll have to write up some measurements and what not.

    And thanks! I am not as teeny tiny as I'd like to be (thanks to the mono I accumulated), but I get to start jogging again in March. You're more than welcome to come jogging around Mason with me after 5 M, W, Th in March! I'm a slow jogger, but I keep a good pace, and it's about 2.5 miles the way I go.

    ~Lisa

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. I'm not logged in but it's LaKesha. I do, in fact, drink a shit ton of water, but I also know water can get boring. If you're like me, you hate the taste of crystal light and things like that. BUT, they have this really yummy zero points sweetner called Wyler's Light that comes in tubs so you can make pitchers or in singles so you can make it in your bottles or glasses. It is really good.

    Another thing is to always carry a large cup in the car. Whenever I leave my house, whether to take the kids to the bus or go to the PO or to work or whatever, I take a tall glass of cold water. I prefer lukewarm, but cold is better for speeding up metabolism.

    Another trick is to always drink a glass of water either right before your coffee or right after. Coffee dehydrates you and causes you to want to drink more of something else and it sounds like you reach for something besides water typically. So, each time you drink a soda or coffee, follow or start with a glass of water to counteract the dehydrating effect.

    And remember it's not about giving things up entirely. It's a slow progression. If you need a soda, fine. When I gave up soda, I gave up cold turkey and it really gave me headaches. Instead, buy the tiny cans of soda to satisfy the taste urge. It's a psychological urge. Satisfy it, but if you start off with the water, that tiny soda will be all you need/want anyhow.

    Just my two cents about the water. H2O is a big part of my life b/c it happens to be my favorite drink, but hopefully that helps;)

    ReplyDelete