Friday, January 7, 2011

Day Five: Temptation Abound!



Cold weather makes me lethargic. It looks a bit like snow outside so I had a hard time getting up this morning. That has kind of put a kink in the whole day and messed with my lunch schedule. So I'm going to get scolded here and that's okay, but I am being incredibly truthful on this blog so you have a right to know. I went to Dunkin Donuts today. *Winces!*

BUT in my defense I tested out a few new things to make this less of a painful experience. I did NOT get a doughnut even though they were staring at me and making suggestive gestures (as only doughnuts can). However, I DID get a bagel. :( With reduced fat cream cheese though! And I know what happened. I had every intention of only getting a coffee, but I had a late breakfast and no lunch at that point so my stomach was screaming at me! Still it's no excuse. That was not part of the diet plan so I'm going to have to really watch calories for dinner tonight. And even though I planned to take an exercise break tomorrow, I think I'll get up early and do some more yoga to help ease the broken rules of today.

So according to the Dunkin Donuts website, the bagel with reduced fat cream cheese was 450 calories and 12 grams of fat. Shame on you Meg!

But back to the point of the trip. Like I mentioned before, I always get a medium iced caramel latte with skim, no whip and no sugar. So today I was testing the waters by getting a small latte light with no flavoring. It was a jolt of bitterness and I've never been a bitter coffee drinker. So I did put two Splenda in. Drum roll please!!!!

According to www.dunkindonuts.com it was only 80 calories (plus about 10 more for the Splenda) and 0grams of fat! WOOOOOOOT! With the Splenda it wasn't that bad, so at very least I can manage that if I need a coffee fix. I do miss my caramel though. :(

But for future reference for my own taste there is a DD Smart menu which is aimed at lower calories, higher fiber and less fat. They have egg white sammies and wake up wraps that are low cal. So that might be a replacement for bagels on days when I just don't have time (after the Special K challenge is done of course). Which on the same token I think I've lost... maybe... a pound. Whoopdy do. I'm not expecting miracles, but with the massively lower calorie intake I'm surprised. A lot of people go through an early purge of pounds and then level off. Apparently my body doesn't roll like that.

But anyway, that is my confession. I need to get back to the routine. Off to organize classwork until Kristen and her family arrive! <3
~ M

2 comments:

  1. Here's what happened to me the one time that I lost some serious weight after college: nothing... nothing... wait - was that half a pound?!... nothing... nothing... and FINALLY and rather suddenly my metabolism kicked in and I dropped 2 pants sizes in a month. It doesn't necessarily work like that for everyone, but definitely be persistent, because your body has to have time to switch gears.

    Be a standard transmission car! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just an fyi: you can buy sugar free caramel syrup at the grocery store and just add a smackrel of it to your latte... AND you shouldn't feel bad about eating a bagel and light cream cheese. if someone's diet is 1200 calories (which, fyi, almost no one's is because you'll effing starve) your meals, including a snack, will be about 300. So a bagel being a bit over 400 calories is just right!

    You'll need carbs in order to burn calories and not get exhausted while you exercise (hence people carbo-loading before sports activities, etc). You're doing a great job, keep it up! But don't forget that you're allowed to keep eating/drinking things that you like as long as you don't overdo it. :-)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete